Poor correlation between tuberculin skin tests and interferon-γ assays in close contacts of patients with multidrug-resistant tuberculosis
- KYUNG-WOOK JO; KYEONGMAN JEON; YOUNG AE KANG; WON-JUNG KOH; KYUNG CHAN KIM; YEE HYUNG KIM; KWANG HA YOO; SEUNG HEON LEE; JAE-JOON YIM; SANG BONG CHOI; WON-IL CHOI; JAE CHOL CHOI; YONG IL HWANG; TAE SUN SHIM
- Dept. of Internal Medicine (내과학)
- Issue Date
- Respirology, Vol.17(7) : 1125-1130, 2012
- Background and Objective: The results of tuberculin skin tests (TST) and QuantiFERON TB-Gold In-Tube (QFT-GIT) assays were compared in close contacts of patients with multidrug-resistant tuberculosis (MDR-TB).
Methods: Close contacts of patients with bacteriologically confirmed MDR-TB (n=101) were assessed. Most contacts were members of the households of patients, and 79 (78.2%) had received Bacille Calmette-Guerin (BCG) vaccination. Samples from each contact were tested using the TST and the QFT-GIT assay on the same day, and the concordance between these results was assessed using kappa (κ) coefficients.
Results: Forty-eight subjects (47.5%) showed positive responses on TST, using a 10-mm induration cut-off, and 54 (53.5%) were positive for the QFT-GIT assay. Of the 48 individuals who were TST positive, 34 (70.8%) were positive for the QFT-GIT assay. Of the 53 subjects who were TST negative, 33 (62.5%) were negative for the QFT-GIT assay. The overall agreement between the two tests (κ coefficient) was 0.33. The κ coefficient was higher in the 22 subjects who had not received BCG vaccination (κ = 0.48) than in the 79 subjects who had received BCG vaccination (κ=0.29).
Conclusion: The TST and QFT-GIT assays showed poor correlation in close contacts of patients with MDR-TB, especially those contacts who had received BCG vaccination.
- close contact; interferon-γ assay,multidrug-resistant tuberculosis; tuberculin skin test
- Appears in Collections:
- 1. Journal Papers (연구논문) > 1. School of Medicine (의과대학) > Dept. of Internal Medicine (내과학)
- Keimyung Author(s)
- Full Text
- File in this Item
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)