Prognostic Significance of Claudin 4 in Completely Resected Adenocarcinoma of the Lung
- Min Cheol Chae; Chang Kwon Park; Dong Yoon Keum; Ilseon Hwang; Kun Young Kwon; Byeong Churl Jang
- Dept. of Thoracic & Cardiovascular Surgery (흉부외과학); Dept. of Molecular Medicine (분자의학); Dept. of Pathology (병리학)
- Issue Date
- Korean Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Vol.47(3) : 262-268, 2014
The development of diagnostic techniques and an awareness of health examinations can bring about an early diagnosis of lung cancer. However, appropriate postoperative management and adjuvant chemotherapy remain under debate in postoperative therapeutic strategy. The present study was conducted to assess the clinicopathologic factors that influence recurrence and prognosis after complete resection of lung cancer.
The present study analyzed 62 patients with lung cancer who underwent complete resection of diagnosed adenocarcinoma between 1994 and 2007. In addition to conventional factors, which include staging factor and histological evaluation, the present study also performed univariate and multivariate analyses to consider claudin, a cell adhesion molecule, as a prognostic factor by immunohistochemical staining.
There was no correlation between conventional factors, including lymphatic and vascular invasion, and recurrence. However, there was a significant correlation between high expression of claudin 4 and cancer recurrence. In particular, there was a correlation between high expressions of claudin 1, 4, and 5 and a reduction of disease-free survival.
Increased expressions of claudin 4 were negative prognostic factors in adenocarcinoma of the lung and thus could be used to identify high-risk patients for adjuvant chemotherapy, even if they had early-stage lung cancer. The present findings collectively suggest that consideration of claudin as a prognostic factor in the active postoperative treatment in patients at high risk will lead to better therapeutic outcomes with fewer side effects.
Keywords: 1. Lung neoplasms, 2. Adenocarcinoma, 3. Discard, 4. Lung pathology, 5. Claudin
- Lung neoplasms; Adenocarcinoma; Discard; Lung pathology; Claudin
- Appears in Collections:
- 1. Journal Papers (연구논문) > 1. School of Medicine (의과대학) > Dept. of Thoracic & Cardiovascular Surgery (흉부외과학)
1. Journal Papers (연구논문) > 1. School of Medicine (의과대학) > Dept. of Molecular Medicine (분자의학)
1. Journal Papers (연구논문) > 1. School of Medicine (의과대학) > Dept. of Pathology (병리학)
- Keimyung Author(s)
- 박창권; 금동윤; 장병철; 황일선; 권건영
- File in this Item
- oak-aaa-4767.pdf(328.7 kB)Download
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)