Effects of Polyhemoglobin-Antioxidant Enzyme Complex on Ischemia-Reperfusion in Kidney
- E.J. Chang; T.H. Lee; K.C. Mun; H.C. Kim; S.I. Suh; J.H. Bae; S.P. Kim; K.B. Cho; J.S. Hwang
- Dept. of Internal Medicine (내과학); Dept. of Pathology (병리학); Dept. of Physiology (생리학); Dept. of Microbiology (미생물학); Dept. of Biochemistry (생화학); Kidney Institute (신장연구소)
- Issue Date
- Transplantation Proceedings, Vol.36(7) : 1952-1954, 2004
- Introduction. The kidney suffers ischemia-reperfusion (I/R) injury during transplanta-
tion. The purpose of the present study was to investigate the therapeutic effect of artiﬁcials
cells on renal I/R injury through biochemical assays and histological examination.
Methods. We prepared artiﬁcial cells using cross-linked hemoglobin (Hb), superoxide
dismutase (SOD), and catalase. Normal male Sprague-Dawley rats were divided into 6
groups: the sham-operated control group, the group treated with polyHb, and the group
treated with polyHb-SOD-catalase (PSC) (per groups were subjected to ischemia for 1
hour or 2 hours). After reperfusion for 4 hours, kidney and blood samples were obtained.
Results. The levels of SOD and catalase in the PSC group were 15 and 50 times higher
than those of the control group, respectively. In the polyHb group, the levels of blood urea
nitrogen (BUN), serum creatinine, renal hydrogen peroxide, and renal malondialdehyde
were increased. However, their levels were signiﬁcantly decreased by PSC administration.
Renal SOD activity did not show any signiﬁcant changes in the polyHb group, but renal
catalase activity was decreased by polyHb treatment in comparison with the control group.
The activities of renal SOD and catalase were increased using PSC treatment. In the
histological ﬁndings, the PSC group showed no evidence of acute tubular necrosis in
proximal convoluted tubules; their microvilli and cytoplasmic microorganelles were
relatively well preserved.
Conclusions. These results show that PSC effectively reduces renal damage via dimin-
ished oxygen free radical-mediated injury after I/R.
- Appears in Collections:
- 1. Journal Papers (연구논문) > 1. School of Medicine (의과대학) > Dept. of Biochemistry (생화학)
1. Journal Papers (연구논문) > 1. School of Medicine (의과대학) > Dept. of Internal Medicine (내과학)
1. Journal Papers (연구논문) > 1. School of Medicine (의과대학) > Dept. of Microbiology (미생물학)
1. Journal Papers (연구논문) > 1. School of Medicine (의과대학) > Dept. of Pathology (병리학)
1. Journal Papers (연구논문) > 1. School of Medicine (의과대학) > Dept. of Physiology (생리학)
1. Journal Papers (연구논문) > 3. Research Institutues (연구소) > Kidney Institute (신장연구소)
- Keimyung Author(s)
- 김현철; 조광범; 황재석; 김상표; 배재훈; 서성일; 문교철
- Full Text
- File in this Item
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)