The Effect of Hyaluronan Treatment in Endotoxemic Rats
- Byung Hak Rho; Kun Young Kwon; Won-Il Choi
- Dept. of Internal Medicine (내과학); Dept. of Radiology (영상의학); Dept. of Pathology (병리학)
- Issue Date
- Tuberculosis and Respiratory Diseases, Vol.70(5) : 390-396, 2011
Hyaluronan (HA) is an unbranched glycosaminoglycan. It has been proposed that HA acts as a vehicle for cytokines due to the strong negative charge on its surface. We hypothesized that HA would function like a cytokine scavenger and reduce the inflammatory signaling cascade and this would lead to improved survival in rats suffering with endotoxemia.
Endotoxin (Salmonella, 10 mg/kg) or an equal amount of 0.9% NaCl (NS) was injected into the jugular vein of rats. HA (1,600 kDa, 0.35%) or NS was given at 0.1 mL/kg/h for 3 hours. HA or NS infusion was started at 4 hour after endotoxin injection. The rats were divided into the control and HA groups (n=16 for each group). The mean arterial pressure (MAP) was monitored during HA or normal saline infusion. Survival was assessed every 12 hours for 3 days throughout the experiment.
The survival rate (%) of the rats treated with HA was higher (60%) than that of the controls (20%) when HA was infused 4 hours after lipopolysaccharide (LPS) injection. The bronchoalveolar lavage (BAL) fluid of the animals surviving HA or NS infusion 4 hours after LPS showed that the total cell counts and number of neutrophils were significantly (p<0.01) reduced in the HA treated groups compared with that of the controls (total cell count, 9.2×104/mL vs. 61×104/mL; neutrophils, 21×104/mL vs. 0.2×104/mL, respectively). There was no significant MAP difference between the HA or control groups either with or without endotoxin.
Infusion of hyaluronan (1,600 kDa) reduced the BAL total cell count and the number of neutrophils and it improved the survival rate of the endotoxemic rats.
Keywords: Endotoxemia; Hyaluronic Acid; Survival
- Endotoxemia; Hyaluronic Acid; Survival
- Appears in Collections:
- 1. Journal Papers (연구논문) > 1. School of Medicine (의과대학) > Dept. of Internal Medicine (내과학)
1. Journal Papers (연구논문) > 1. School of Medicine (의과대학) > Dept. of Radiology (영상의학)
1. Journal Papers (연구논문) > 1. School of Medicine (의과대학) > Dept. of Pathology (병리학)
- Keimyung Author(s)
- 최원일; 노병학; 권건영
- File in this Item
- oak-aaa-5106.pdf(823.21 kB)Download
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)