A randomized comparative study of high-dose and low-dose hepatic arterial infusion chemotherapy for intractable, advanced hepatocellular carcinoma
- Hyun Young Woo; Si Hyun Bae; Jun Yong Park; Kwang Hyub Han; Ho Jong Chun; Byung Gil Choi; Hyeon U. Im; Jong Young Choi; Seung Kew Yoon; Jae Youn Cheong; Sung Won Cho; Byoung Kuk Jang; Jae Seok Hwang; Sang Gyune Kim; Young Seok Kim; Yeon Seok Seo; Hyung Joon Yim; Soon Ho Um
- Dept. of Internal Medicine (내과학)
- Issue Date
- Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology, Vol.65(2) : 373-382, 2010
- Purpose : Hepatic arterial infusion chemotherapy (HAIC) has been reported to be effective in patients with advanced hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC).
Methods : In this multicenter, prospective, open-labeled, clinical trial, we randomly assigned 68 patients with advanced HCC to receive either low-dose [n = 32, 5-fluorouracil (FU), 170 mg/m2 and cisplatin, 7 mg/m2 on days 1–5] or high-dose HAIC (n = 36, 5-FU, 500 mg/m2 on days 1–3 and cisplatin, 60 mg/m2 on day 2) every 4 weeks via an implantable port system.
Results : A total of 207 cycles of HAIC was given to the 68 patients. Overall, 6 patients (8.8%) achieved a partial response and 21 patients (30.9%) had stable disease. The objective response rate (CR + PR) was significantly improved in the high-dose group compared to the low-dose group (16.7% vs. 0%, P = 0.024). The median time to disease progression and overall survival were slightly prolonged in the high-dose group compared to the low-dose group (median survival, 193 vs. 153 days; P = 0.108; median time to disease progression, 145 vs. 90 days; P = 0.095). Multivariate analysis showed that tumor response to treatment [P = 0.007, RR 2.27 (95% CI, 1.248–4.132)] was the only factor associated with overall survival. All adverse events were tolerable and successfully managed in both treatment groups.
Conclusions : Both HAIC regimens are safe and effective in patients with advanced HCC. High-dose HAIC achieves a better tumor response compared to low-dose HAIC.
Keywords : Hepatocellular carcinoma – Hepatic arterial infusion chemotherapy – High dose – Low dose – 5-Fluorouracil – Cisplatin
- Appears in Collections:
- 1. Journal Papers (연구논문) > 1. School of Medicine (의과대학) > Dept. of Internal Medicine (내과학)
- Keimyung Author(s)
- 장병국; 황재석
- Full Text
- File in this Item
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)