A phase II study of capecitabine plus gemcitabine in patients with locally advanced or metastatic pancreatic cancer
- Hong Suk Song; Young Rok Do; Heung Moon Chang; Min Hee Ryu; Kyung Hee Lee; Yeul Hong Kim; Dae Sik Hong; Jae Yong Cho; Kyoung Eun Lee; Si Young Kim
- Dept. of Internal Medicine (내과학)
- Issue Date
- Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology, Vol.62(5) : 763-768, 2008
- Purpose : This open-label, multicenter phase II study was conducted to investigate the efficacy and safety of capecitabine plus gemcitabine combination chemotherapy as first-line treatment in patients with locally advanced or metastatic pancreatic cancer.
Patients and methods : We enrolled 63 patients who received capecitabine 830 mg/m2 orally twice daily on days 1–21 plus gemcitabine 1000 mg/m2 as a 30-min infusion on days 1, 8 and 15 every 4 weeks for up to six cycles.
Results : A total of 14 patients had partial responses giving an overall response rate of 22% (95% confidence interval [CI] 13–34%) in the intent-to-treat population. The median time to progression and overall survival were 3.9 months (95% CI 3.5–5.7) and 7.5 months (95% CI 5.0–10.0), respectively, and 1-year survival rate was 27.1% in the intent-to-treat population. Capecitabine plus gemcitabine was well tolerated. Grade 3 hematological adverse events were neutropenia (21%) and thrombocytopenia (2%); the only grade 4 hematological events were anemia (2%) and neutropenia (6%). Non-hematological adverse events were mainly gastrointestinal events and hand–foot syndrome, which affected 16% of patients. Grade 3/4 non-hematological events were infrequent.
Conclusion : The combination of capecitabine plus gemcitabine appears to be active and well tolerated as first-line treatment in patients with advanced/metastatic pancreatic cancer.
Keywords : Pancreatic cancer – Capecitabine – Gemcitabine – Chemotherapy
- Appears in Collections:
- 1. Journal Papers (연구논문) > 1. School of Medicine (의과대학) > Dept. of Internal Medicine (내과학)
- Keimyung Author(s)
- 송홍석; 도영록
- Full Text
- File in this Item
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)