Gemcitabine and oxaliplatin in patients with unresectable biliary cancer including gall bladder cancer: a Korean Cancer Study Group phase II trial

Authors
Kyung Hee LeeBong Seog KimSang Cheul OhSam Yong KimSang Jae LeeJoung-Soon JangHo Yeong LimIn Gyu HwangHong Suk SongNaeChoon YooSoYoung YoonYeul Hong KimEunsik ParkJae Ho ByunMyung Ah LeeSuk Joong Oh
Department
Dept. of Internal Medicine (내과학)
Issue Date
2010
Citation
Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology, Vol.65(4) : 641-647, 2010
ISSN
0344-5704
Abstract
Purpose : Chemotherapy represents a palliative treatment, with poor response rates and a median survival of less than 6 months in patients with biliary tract cancers (BTCs). The aim of this study was to evaluate the efficacy and safety of the combination chemotherapy with gemcitabine and oxaliplatin (GEMOX) in patients with BTCs including gall bladder cancer. Methods : We carried out a nationwide multicenter phase II study evaluated the efficacy and safety of GEMOX as first-line therapy in patients with advanced BTCs. Eligible patients with previously untreated locally advanced or metastatic BTCs received gemcitabine 1,000 mg/m2 (day 1 and 8) and oxaliplatin 100 mg/m2 (day 1), every 3 weeks. Results : Fifty-three patients were evaluated, 60% had cholangiocarcinoma and the remaining 40% gall bladder cancer; the objective response rate was 18.9% (10/53 patients including 1 Complete response) [14.9%; 95% confidence interval (CI), 7.4–25.7%] in the treated population. Stable disease were observed in 27/53 (50.9%) patients, disease control rate was achieved in 69.8% of all patients. Median progression-free survival was 4.8 months (3.1–6.5, 95% CI) and median overall survival was 8.3 months (5.8–10.8, 95% CI). Grade 3/4 toxicities included neutropenia (33.9% of patients) and thrombocytopenia (7.6%). Conclusions : The GEMOX regimen demonstrated a modest antitumor activity and is well tolerated in patients with advanced BTCs. Keywords : Biliary tract cancers – Chemotherapy – Gemcitabine – Oxaliplatin
URI
http://kumel.medlib.dsmc.or.kr/handle/2015.oak/35296
Appears in Collections:
1. Journal Papers (연구논문) > 1. School of Medicine (의과대학) > Dept. of Internal Medicine (내과학)
Keimyung Author(s)
송홍석
Full Text
http://lps3.link.springer.com.proxy.dsmc.or.kr/article/10.1007%2Fs00280-009-1069-7
File in this Item
 사서에게 요청하기
Export
RIS (EndNote)
XLS (Excel)
XML


qrcode

Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.

BROWSE