Usefulness of Tissue Doppler
Imaging-Myocardial Performance Index
in the Evaluation of Diastolic Dysfunction
and Heart Failure With Preserved Ejection
- Hyungseop Kim; Hyuck-Jun Yoon; Hyoung-Seob Park; Yun-Kyeong Cho; Chang-Wook Nam; Seung-Ho Hur; Yoon-Nyun Kim; Kwon-Bae Kim
- Dept. of Internal Medicine (내과학)
- Issue Date
- Clinical Cardiology, Vol.34(8) : 494-499, 2011
- Background: In heart failure with preserved ejection fraction (HFPEF), physiological abnormalities are not solely
restricted to diastolic function. Because the tissue Doppler imaging (TDI)-derived myocardial performance
index (MPI) offers the advantage of recording systolic and diastolic tissue velocity simultaneously in the same
cardiac cycle, this study aimed to determine whether TDI-MPI is an informative index for assessing HFPEF,
compared with conventional echo parameters.
Hypothesis: In patients with HFPEF, TDI-MPI would be an independent predictor for adverse cardiac events.
Methods: Among 408 patients who had diastolic dysfunction without heart failure (HF) or HFPEF, cardiac
function was evaluated by mitral flow (MF) or TDI-MPI. During the median follow-up of 32 months, clinical
outcomes, which were defined as the composite of cardiovascular death and admission for HF, were assessed.
Results: Mean MF and TDI-MPI were significantly greater in the HFPEF group. TDI-MPI rather than MF had a
significant correlation with N-terminal pro-brain natriuretic peptide level. The area under the receiver operating
characteristic curve of TDI-MPI for the detection of HFPEF was 0.86. With regard to clinical outcomes, 31 events
were identified during follow-up periods. On a multivariate analysis, TDI-MPI >0.66 was the best prognostic
predictor of events and provided incremental predictive value.
Conclusions: Compared to MF-MPI, TDI-MPI may be a more useful parameter for the evaluation of patients
- Appears in Collections:
- 1. Journal Papers (연구논문) > 1. School of Medicine (의과대학) > Dept. of Internal Medicine (내과학)
- Keimyung Author(s)
- 김형섭; 윤혁준; 박형섭; 조윤경; 남창욱; 허승호; 김윤년; 김권배
- File in this Item
- oak-aaa-01409.pdf(229.82 kB)Download
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)