Clinical Improvement of Striae Distensae in Korean Patients
Using a Combination of Fractionated Microneedle
Radiofrequency and Fractional Carbon Dioxide Laser
- HAN-WON RYU; SUNG-AE KIM; HYE RA JUNG; YOUNG-WOOK RYOO; KYU-SUK LEE; JAE-WE CHO
- Dept. of Dermatology (피부과학); Dept. of Pathology (병리학)
- Issue Date
- Dermatologic Surgery, Vol.39(10) : 1452-1458, 2013
- BACKGROUND Striae distensae are dermal scars with flattening and atrophy of the epidermis.
OBJECTIVE To evaluate the efficacy and safety of combination therapy with fractionated microneedle
radiofrequency (RF) and fractional carbon dioxide (CO
) laser in the treatment of striae distensae.
MATERIALS AND METHODS Thirty patients (30 female; mean age 33, range 21–51, Fitzpatrick skin type IV)
with moderate to severe striae distensae were enrolled in this study. Patients were divided into three groups:
laser only (n = 10), microneedle RF only (n = 10), and combination (n = 10).
RESULTS Improvement was evaluated using a visual analogue scale (range 1–4). Mean clinical improvement
score of the dermatologist was 2.2 in the fractional CO
laser–treated group, 1.8 in the microneedle RF–treated
group, and 3.4 in the combination group. Through skin biopsy, we observed thickened epidermis and a clear
increase in the number of collagen fibers in the microneedle RF– and fractional CO
Consistent with these results, greater expression of transforming growth factor-b1 and stratifin was observed
in treated sites.
CONCLUSION Combination therapy of fractionated microneedle RF and fractional CO
laser is a safe
treatment protocol with a positive therapeutic effect on striae distensae.
The authors have indicated no significant interest with commercial supporters.
- Appears in Collections:
- 1. Journal Papers (연구논문) > 1. School of Medicine (의과대학) > Dept. of Dermatology (피부과학)
1. Journal Papers (연구논문) > 1. School of Medicine (의과대학) > Dept. of Pathology (병리학)
- Keimyung Author(s)
- 김성애; 류영욱; 이규석; 조재위; 정혜라
- Full Text
- File in this Item
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)