Analysis of cytomegalovirus-specific T-cell responses in patients with hypertension: comparison of assay methods and antigens
- Jong-Chan Youn; Jun Yong Kim; Min Kyung Jung; Hee Tae Yu; Su-Hyung Park; In-Cheol Kim; Sun Ki Lee; Suk-Won Choi; Seongwoo Han; Kyu-Hyung Ryu; Sungha Park; Eui-Cheol Shin
- Dept. of Internal Medicine (내과학)
- Issue Date
- Clinical Hypertension, Vol.24() : 5-5, 2018
Recent studies suggest an association between cytomegalovirus (CMV) infection and hypertension. In the present study, we used a variety of antigens and different assay methods to investigate the relationship between CMV-specific T-cell responses and arterial stiffness in patients with hypertension.
To evaluate arterial stiffness, pulse wave velocity (PWV) was measured in 207 hypertensive patients (average age, 63 ± 8 years). To measure CMV pp65 and IE-1-specific T-cell responses, we performed intracellular cytokine staining (ICS) and enzyme-linked immunospot (ELISPOT) assays. We also analyzed CMV-specific T-cell responses against 10 different CMV antigens using ELISPOT assays.
In patients with hypertension, senescent CD8+ T-cell frequencies were significantly correlated with arterial stiffness. Moreover, arterial stiffness was independently associated with CMV pp65-specific CD8+ T-cell responses as measured by ICS. CMV-specific CD8+ T-cell responses measured by ICS and ELISPOT assays showed good agreement and significant correlation with each other. ELISPOT analyses against 10 different CMV antigens revealed a consistent response pattern irrespective of age, gender, and diabetes.
CMV pp65-specific CD8+ T-cell responses were independently correlated with arterial stiffness in patients with hypertension. Additionally, the results of ICS and ELISPOT assays showed a significant correlation and good agreement with each other. These findings are important for guiding choices regarding the broad clinical application of CMV-specific T-cell response assays in this patient population.
- Arterial stiffness; Cytomegalovirus; Enzyme-linked immunospot (ELISPOT) assay; Intracellular cytokine staining (ICS); T cell
- Appears in Collections:
- 1. Journal Papers (연구논문) > 1. School of Medicine (의과대학) > Dept. of Internal Medicine (내과학)
- Keimyung Author(s)
- File in this Item
- oak-2018-0100.pdf(1.1 MB)Download
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)