Outcomes of Pregnancy after Breast Cancer in Korean Women: A Large Cohort Study

Other Titles
Outcomes of Pregnancy after Breast Cancer in Korean Women: A Large Cohort Study
Authors
Moo Hyun LeeYoung Ae KimJin Hyuk HongSo-Youn JungSunmi LeeSun-Young KongBoyoung ParkEun Sook Lee
Department
Dept. of Surgery (외과학)
Issue Date
2020
Citation
Cancer Research and Treatment, Vol.52(2) : 426-437, 2020
ISSN
2005-9256
Abstract
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to determine the rate and outcomes of pregnancies subsequent to breast cancer in Korea, and the effect of such pregnancies on the prognosis of women who survived breast cancer and subsequently conceived. Materials and Methods: We followed a total of 31,761 Korean women 45 years of age or younger who were treated for primary breast cancer from 2002 to 2010. We also included follow-up surveys that were conducted through December 2011. We identified recurrence and mortality from breast cancer using data linked to the Korea National Health Insurance database. We used propensity score matching of the study cohort to analyze the risks of recurrence and mortality from breast cancer depending on pregnancy. Results: Within our sample, 992 women (3.1%) became pregnant after receiving treatment for breast cancer. Of those, 622 (67.5%) successfully delivered; the remaining 370 (32.5%) failed to deliver. After propensity score matching, we found that the women who became pregnant after breast cancer did not have a different risk of recurrence (hazard ratio [HR], 0.503; 95% confidence interval [CI], 0.434 to 0.584) and death (HR, 0.520; 95% CI, 0.397 to 0.681), compared with those who did not conceive after breast cancer treatment. Conclusion: Our study is the first to report outcomes for Korean women who survived breast cancer and subsequently conceived. Women who survived breast cancer and subsequently became pregnant did not show a poorer survival outcome, compared with those who did not become pregnant.
Keywords
Breast neoplasmsPregnancyCancer survivors
URI
http://kumel.medlib.dsmc.or.kr/handle/2015.oak/42667
Appears in Collections:
1. Journal Papers (연구논문) > 1. School of Medicine (의과대학) > Dept. of Surgery (외과학)
Keimyung Author(s)
이무현
Full Text
https://www.e-crt.org/journal/view.php?doi=10.4143/crt.2018.382
File in this Item
oak-2020-0028.pdf(990.43 kB)Download
Export
RIS (EndNote)
XLS (Excel)
XML


qrcode

Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.

BROWSE