Two hundred and sixty-six cases of overt diabetes mellitus who were admitted to the Dongsan Hospital, Keimyung University from July 1982 to June 1983 were studied and the following results were obtained.
X. An incidence of the diabetes mellitus among the total inpatients of all department and internal medical department during the same period were 1.49%，6.71% respectively. The male to female ratio was 1.3 ： 1 and the highest age incidence was in 6th decade.
2. The types of diabetes mellitus were non-insulin dependent(82.3%), insulin-dependent(7.1%), previous abnormality of glucose tolerance(3.4%), and secondary diabetes mellitus(l. 9%).
3. Environmental factors of diabetes mellitus were obesity (20.7%), heredity(6.4%), emotional and physical stress (3. 0%, 2. 6% respectively), pregnancy(l. 9%) and drugs(l. 9%).
No specific factors were found in 63.5%.
4. The associated disease with diabetes mellitus were liver cirrhosis(10.2%), chronic hepatitis (4.1%), fatty liver(l. 5%), cholelithiasis(3.4%)，chronic alcoholism(3.0%).
5. Obese patient (over 10% of ideal body weight) were found in 35.3% of diabetic patients.
6. The commonest fasting blood sugar levels before treatment were between 150mg/dl and 249mg/dl (43.2% of the diabetic patients).
7. The diabetics had statistically significant elevations of total serum lipids, serum triglyceride and serum cholesterol levels compared to normal controls.
8. The common symtoms of the onset of the diabetes mellitus were thirst(72.1%), polyuria (71.4%)’ weakness (47.4%)f paresthesia and pain(38.0%), weight loss(28.2%)， polyphagia (27. 4%), visual disturbance(24.1%) etc.
9. The associated complications of diabetes mellitus were neuropathy(36.1%), retinopathy (30.5%), infection(19.9%), pulmonary tuberculosis(18.1%), hypertension(18.4%), nephropathy (10.9%) coma(3.8%) etc.
10. 81.6 percent of cases had good response to the treatment with diet, oral hypoglycemic agents and insulin injections.