The Value of Ultrasonography in the Detection of Meniscal Tears Diagnosed by Magnetic Resonance Imaging
- Gi-Young Park; Jong-Min Kim; Sung-Moon Lee; Michael Y. Lee
- Dept. of Radiology (영상의학); Dept. of Rehabilitation Medicine (재활의학)
- Issue Date
- American Journal of Physical Medicine, Vol.87(1) : 14-20, 2008
- Park G-Y, Kim J-M, Lee S-M, Lee MY: The value of ultrasonography in the detection of meniscal tears diagnosed by magnetic resonance imaging. Am J Phys Med Rehabil 2008;87:14–20.
Objective: To evaluate the diagnostic value of ultrasonography in meniscal tears that were diagnosed by magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).
Design: Twenty-seven knees with meniscal tears and 14 knees without tears on MRI were prospectively evaluated. A radiologist performed the ultrasonography and evaluated the presence and locations of the meniscal tears. MRI was used as the reference standard.
Results: Twenty-nine menisci with tears and 53 menisci without tears were identified by MRI. Twenty-two tears were in the medial menisci, and seven tears were in the lateral menisci. In the 29 meniscal tears, the ultrasonographic diagnosis was correct in 25 (86.2%) and incorrect in 4 (13.8%) menisci. In the 53 menisci without tears, the ultrasonographic diagnosis was correct in 45 (84.9%) and incorrect in 8 (15.1%) menisci. Ultrasonography showed a sensitivity, specificity, accuracy, and positive and negative predictive values for meniscal tears of 86.2%, 84.9%, 85.4%, 75.8%, and 91.8%, respectively. Of the four intracapsular injuries observed by MRI in injured knees, an osteochondritis dessecans was only observed by ultrasonography.
Conclusions: Ultrasonography is an accurate imaging study for diagnosing meniscal tears. The results correlated with those obtained by MRI; this suggests that ultrasonography can be a useful imaging modality in uninjured knees.
- Appears in Collections:
- 1. Journal Papers (연구논문) > 1. School of Medicine (의과대학) > Dept. of Radiology (영상의학)
1. Journal Papers (연구논문) > 1. School of Medicine (의과대학) > Dept. of Rehabilitation Medicine (재활의학)
- Keimyung Author(s)
- 이성문; 박기영
- Full Text
- File in this Item
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)