TNFα promoter polymorphism is a risk factor for susceptibility in hepatocellular carcinoma in Korean population
- Kang Wook Jung; Eunyoung Ha; Gyeong Im Yu; Sung Jin Kim; Woo Jin Chung; Byoung Kuk Jang; Jung Jeung Lee; Dong Hoon Shin; Jae Seok Hwang
- Dept. of Preventive Medicine (예방의학); Dept. of Biochemistry (생화학); Dept. of Internal Medicine (내과학); Dept. of Emergency Medicine (응급의학); Institute for Cancer Research (암연구소)
- Issue Date
- Clinical Chimica Acta, Vol.407(1-2) : 16-19, 2009
The underlying genetic factors for the development and progression of hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) are largely unknown. TNFα is a well characterized inflammatory mediator and is implicated in the development of HCC. We investigated TNFα polymorphisms for association with HCC.
The study population consisted of 227 HCC patients and 365 age and sex matched Korean controls. TNFα polymorphisms (G-238A, C-857T, and C-863A) were genotyped using pyrosequencing analysis. TNFα levels in patients with HCC were determined by enzyme linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA). Logistic regression analysis was used to determine the association with HCC and haplotype was calculated using EH program.
Of three TNFα polymorphisms investigated in our study, C-863A did not correlate with HCC. However, both G-238A and C-857T were found to be significantly associated with HCC. TNFα −238A allele was more frequent in HCC patients than in control [P = 0.012; odds ratio (OR), 1.89; 95% confidence interval (CI), 1.14–3.13]. TNFα −857T was significantly associated with HCC patients (P = 0.001; OR, 1.63; 95% CI, 1.21–2.19). Haplotype analysis revealed that the GTC haplotype (G-238A, C-857T, C-863A) was a risk marker for HCC (P = 0.0021). Serum TNFα level was significantly increased in HCC patients with CT + TT genotype for TNFα −857 (P = 0.018).
Our data imply that TNFα G-238A and C-857T, not C-863A, polymorphisms may confer different susceptibilities to the development of HCC with TNFα −238A and −857T alleles playing as risk factors.
Tumor necrosis factor;
- Appears in Collections:
- 1. Journal Papers (연구논문) > 1. School of Medicine (의과대학) > Dept. of Emergency Medicine (응급의학)
1. Journal Papers (연구논문) > 1. School of Medicine (의과대학) > Dept. of Biochemistry (생화학)
1. Journal Papers (연구논문) > 1. School of Medicine (의과대학) > Dept. of Internal Medicine (내과학)
1. Journal Papers (연구논문) > 1. School of Medicine (의과대학) > Dept. of Preventive Medicine (예방의학)
1. Journal Papers (연구논문) > 3. Research Institutues (연구소) > Institute for Cancer Research (암연구소)
- Keimyung Author(s)
- 이중정; 신동훈; 하은영; 정우진; 장병국; 황재석; 김성진
- Full Text
- File in this Item
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)