Gender Differences in Clinical Features
and In-hospital Outcomes in ST-segment
Elevation Acute Myocardial Infarction:
From the Korean Acute Myocardial
Infarction Registry (KAMIR) Study
- Jong-Seon Park; Young-Jo Kim; Dong-Gu Shin; Myung-Ho Jeong; Young-Keun Ahn; Wook-Sung Chung; Ki-Bae Seung; Chong-Jin Kim; Myeong-Chan Cho; Yang-Soo Jang; Seung-Jung Park; In-Whan Seong; Shung-Chull Chae; Seung-Ho Hur; Dong-Hoon Choi; Taek-Jong Hong
- Dept. of Internal Medicine (내과학)
- Issue Date
- Clinical Cardiology, Vol.33(8) : E1-E6, 2010
- Background: Studies have suggested that women are biologically different and that female gender itself is
independently associated with poor clinical outcome after an acute myocardial infarction (AMI).
Hypothesis: We analyzed data from the Korean Acute Myocardial InfarctionRegistry (KAMIR) to assess gender
differences in in-hospital outcomes post ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction (STEMI).
Methods: Between November 2005 and July 2007, 4037 patientswho were admitted with STEMI to 41 facilities
were registered into the KAMIR database; patients admitted within 72 hours of symptom onset were selected
Results: The proportion of patients who had reperfusion therapy within 12 hours from chest pain onset was
lower in women. Women had higher rates of in-hospital mortality (8.6% vs 3.2%, P <.01), noncardiac death
(1.5% vs 0.4%, P <.01), cardiac death (7.1% vs 2.8%, P <.01), and stroke (1.2% vs 0.5%, P <.05) than men.
Multivariate logistic regression analysis identified age, previous angina, hypertension, a Killip class ≥ II, a
left ventricular ejection fraction (LVEF) <40%, and a thrombolysis in myocardial infarction flow (TIMI) grade
≤3 after angioplasty as independent risk factors for in-hospitaldeath for all patients; however, female gender
itself was not an independent risk factor.
Conclusions: The results of this study show that although women have a higher in-hospital mortality than
men, female gender itself is not an independent risk factor for in-hospital mortality.
- Appears in Collections:
- 1. Journal Papers (연구논문) > 1. School of Medicine (의과대학) > Dept. of Internal Medicine (내과학)
- Keimyung Author(s)
- File in this Item
- oak-aaa-01489.pdf(128.27 kB)Download
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)