The main goal of the treatment of scoliosis is in the prevention or management of the secondary complications resulting from mechanical effect of scoliotic posture such as pain, functional disability, psychologic problem, cardiopulmonary problem, weakness or paralysis and cosmetic problem.
29 in and out patients of the Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, Young dong Severance Hospital, Yonsei University College of Medicine were taken as subjects. They were compaired according to the age, sex, physical examination and pre and post treatment X-ray finding of whole spine AP and lateral views.
All 29 patients received heat therapy, scoliosis correction exercise, postural education and self scoliosis correction device. The 4 of them applied the 3 point pressure thoracolumbosacral brace in addition to the above rehabilitatio treatment.
1) Among the causes of scoliosisn the idiopathic scoliosis was most common(20 out of 29 patients) followed by torticollis, post operative state of herniated nucleus pulposus, stroke, progressive muscular dystrophy.
2) The chief complaints of the patients were in the order of pain (15 patients), cosmetic problem, muscle weakness and delayed development.
3) Among 9 patients who complained of pain, 5 patients showed finding of lumbar radiculopathy, 2 patients cervical radiculopathy 2 patients both cervical and lumbar radiculopathies.
4) The 11 out of 12 patients showed the improvement in the curve and the correction angle ranged from 2° to 13° and the mean correction angle was 4.16°.
5) In cases of initial scoliosis angle less than 10° showed 40.6% correction effect. The larger the scoliosis angle, the lesser the correction rate.