HaCaT 각질형성세포에서 자외선 B에 의하여 유도되는 염증성 사이토카인에 대한 Curcumin의 항염증 효과
- Other Titles
- Anti-inflammatory Effect of Curcumin on UVB-induced
Inflammatory Cytokines in HaCaT Cells
- 조재위; 이규석
- Dept. of Dermatology (피부과학)
- Issue Date
- 대한피부과학회지, Vol.47(2) : 121-126, 2009
- Background: UVB irradiation induces acute inflammation through expressions of IL-6, IL-8, and TNF-α, in keratinocytes. Curcumin, extracted from the rhizomes of Curcuma longa, has been described as having anti-inflammatory
properties; however, it still unknown as to whether curcumin inhibits the UVB-induced expressions of IL-6, IL-8, and TNF-α in HaCaT cell lines.
Objective: In this study we investigated the effects of curcumin on the expression of IL-6, IL-8, and TNF-α in HaCaT cells, as well as the photoprotective effect of curcumin ointment in UVB-irradiated hair less mice.
Methods: HaCaT cells were irradiated with various doses of UVB (0, 100, 200, 300 mJ/cm2). Total RNA was extracted from the cells and gene expression was confirmed by RT-PCR, EMSA, and Western blot analysis. In
addition we examined whether the ointment containing curcumin prevents the photo damaging events in hairless mice. Results: UVB-irradiated HaCaT cells clearly showed an increased expression of IL-6, IL-8, and TNF-α in a UVB
dose-dependent manner (0, 100, 200, 300 mJ/cm2). Interestingly, pretreatment of curcumin (40 uM) dramatically reduced the expressions of UVB-induced IL-6, IL-8, and TNF-α. In addition, activation of NF-κB and MAPKs
(p38, JNK, ERK) by UVB were partially attenuated by pretreatment of curcumin in HaCaT cells. Furthermore, the application of ointment containing curcumin partially protected the erythema and skin atrophy in UVB-irradiated
hairless nude mice. Conclusion: Collectively, these results indicate that curcumin may be applied as a promising anti-inflammatory natural agent through modulation of inflammatory cytokines such as IL-6, IL-8, and TNF-α.
- Curcumin; HaCaT cells; Inflammatory cytokines; UVB
- Appears in Collections:
- 1. Journal Papers (연구논문) > 1. School of Medicine (의과대학) > Dept. of Dermatology (피부과학)
- Keimyung Author(s)
- 조재위; 이규석
- File in this Item
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)