Diagnostic accuracy of urinary biomarkers in infants younger than 3 months with urinary tract infection
- Nani Jung; Hye Jin Byun; Jae Hyun Park; Joon Sik Kim; Hae Won Kim; Ji Yong Ha
- Dept. of Pediatrics (소아청소년학); Dept. of Nuclear Medicine (핵의학); Dept. of Urology (비뇨의학)
- Issue Date
- Korean Journal of Pediatrics, Vol.61(1) : 24-29, 2018
- Purpose: The aim of this study was to evaluate the diagnostic accuracy of urinary biomarkers, such as
neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin (uNGAL) and β-2 microglobulin (uB2MG), in early detection of
urinary tract infection (UTI) in infants aged <3 months with fever.
Methods: A total of 422 infants aged <3 months (male:female=267:155; mean age, 56.4 days), who
were admitted for fever, were retrospectively included in this study. We compared uNGAL and uB2MG
between the UTI and non-UTI groups at the time of admission. The sensitivity, specificity, accuracy, and
area under the curve (AUC) of uNGAL and uB2MG for use in diagnosing UTI were assessed.
Results: Among 422 patients, 102 (24.2%) were diagnosed with UTI. Levels of uNGAL were higher in the
UTI group than in the non-UTI group (366.6 ng/mL vs. 26.9 ng/mL, P<0.001). Levels of uB2MG were not
different between the 2 groups. Multivariate analysis revealed that uNGAL was an independent predictive
factor for UTI (P=0.033). The sensitivity, specificity, and accuracy were 90.2%, 92.5%, and 91.9% for
uNGAL, and 48.0%, 43.8%, and 44.8% for uB2MG, respectively. AUC of uNGAL was 0.942 and that of
uB2MG was 0.407.
Conclusion: Accuracy of uNGAL in the diagnosis of UTI is high in febrile infants aged <3 months. uNGAL
can help in the early diagnosis and treatment of UTI in infants.
- Urinary tract infection; Biomarkers; Neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin
- Appears in Collections:
- 1. Journal Papers (연구논문) > 1. School of Medicine (의과대학) > Dept. of Pediatrics (소아청소년학)
1. Journal Papers (연구논문) > 1. School of Medicine (의과대학) > Dept. of Nuclear Medicine (핵의학)
1. Journal Papers (연구논문) > 1. School of Medicine (의과대학) > Dept. of Urology (비뇨의학)
- Keimyung Author(s)
- 김준식; 김해원; 하지용; 박재현
- File in this Item
- oak-2018-0024.pdf(665.55 kB)Download
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)