Prospective Validation of the Korean Cancer Study Group Geriatric Score (KG)-7, a Novel Geriatric Screening Tool, in Older Patients with Advanced Cancer Undergoing First-line Palliative Chemotherapy
- Jin Won Kim; Se Hyun Kim; Yun-Gyoo Lee; In Gyu Hwang; Jin Young Kim; Su-Jin Koh; Yoon Ho Ko; Seong Hoon Shin; In Sook Woo; Soojung Hong; Tae-Yong Kim; Ji Yeon Baek; Hyun Jung Kim; Hyo Jung Kim; Myung Ah Lee; Jung Hye Kwon; Yong Sang Hong; Hun-Mo Ryoo; Kyung Hee Lee; Jee Hyun Kim
- Dept. of Internal Medicine (내과학)
- Issue Date
- Cancer Research and Treatment, Vol.51(3) : 1249-1256, 2019
The purpose of this study was to prospectively validate the Korean Cancer Study Group Geriatric Score (KG)-7, a novel geriatric screening tool, in older patients with advanced cancer planned to undergo first-line palliative chemotherapy.
Materials and Methods
Participants answered the KG-7 questionnaire before undergoing geriatric assessment (GA) and first-line palliative chemotherapy. The performance of KG-7 was evaluated by calculating the sensitivity (SE), specificity (SP), positive and negative predictive value (PPV and NPV), balanced accuracy (BA), and area under the curve (AUC).
The baseline GA and KG-7 results were collected from 301 patients. The median age was 75 years (range, 70 to 93 years). Abnormal GA was documented in 222 patients (73.8%). Based on the ! 5 cut-off value of KG-7 for abnormal GA, abnormal KG-7 score was shown in 200 patients (66.4%). KG-7 showed SE, SP, PPV, NPV, and BA of 75.7%, 59.7%, 84.4%, 46.0%, and 67.7%, respectively; AUC was 0.745 (95% confidence interval, 0.687 to 0.803). Furthermore, patients with higher KG-7 scores showed significantly longer survival (p= 0.006).
KG-7 appears to be adequate in identifying patients with abnormal GA prospectively. Hence, KG-7 can be a useful screening tool for Asian countries with limited resources and high patient volume.
- Geriatric assessment; KG-7; Screening tools; Prospective; Validation
- Appears in Collections:
- 1. Journal Papers (연구논문) > 1. School of Medicine (의과대학) > Dept. of Internal Medicine (내과학)
- Keimyung Author(s)
- Full Text
- File in this Item
- oak-2019-0038.pdf(754.84 kB)Download
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)