Does spinal stenosis correlate with MRI findings and pain, psychologic factor and quality of life?
- Ji Hee Hong; Mi Young Lee; Sung Won Jung; Su Yong Lee
- Dept. of Anesthesiology & Pain Medicine (마취통증의학); Dept. of Preventive Medicine (예방의학); Dept. of Psychiatry (정신건강의학)
- Issue Date
- Korean Journal of Anesthesiology, Vol.68(5) : 481-487, 2015
- Background: To investigate and analyze MRI findings in relation to visual analogue scale (VAS), Oswestry Disability Index
(ODI), psychological-factor, sleep-quality, and Short-Form Health Survey (SF-36) scores among patients with central
lumbar spinal stenosis (LSS) for the purpose of elucidating a correlation.
Methods: From July 2013 to May 2014, 117 consecutive patients with central LSS were included in this study. All of the
MRIs were evaluated by one of the authors, and the evaluated items were the dural sac cross-sectional area (DSCSA), the
number of stenotic levels, and the presence and levels of spondylolisthesis. The ODI, VAS, 36-item SF-36, Beck Depression
Inventory (BDI), Beck Anxiety Inventory (BAI), and Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index (PSQI) questionnaires were
used to evaluate the participants.
Results: There are no correlations between the ODI, VAS, BDI, BAI, PSQI, and SF-36 scores and the minimum DSCSA;
however, a significant correlation was found between the ODI scores and multilevel LSS. The BDI, BAI, and PSQI scores
are higher for multilevel LSS compared with single-level LSS, but the difference of this mean value is not statistically significant.
Conclusions: A significant correlation was shown between those patients with multilevel LSS and the ODI scores; however,
significant correlations were not found between the MRI findings and the psychological factors pertaining to sleep
and life qualities.
- Beck depression inventory; Dural sac cross sectional area; MRI findings; Spinal stenosis; Oswestry disability
index; Pittsburgh sleep quality index
- Appears in Collections:
- 1. Journal Papers (연구논문) > 1. School of Medicine (의과대학) > Dept. of Anesthesiology & Pain Medicine (마취통증의학)
1. Journal Papers (연구논문) > 1. School of Medicine (의과대학) > Dept. of Preventive Medicine (예방의학)
1. Journal Papers (연구논문) > 1. School of Medicine (의과대학) > Dept. of Psychiatry (정신건강의학)
- Keimyung Author(s)
- 홍지희; 이미영; 정성원
- File in this Item
- oak-2015-0092.pdf(1.29 MB)Download
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)